I would like to tell you a little about our move. I was told (I think by the owner) on Monday, June 29th, when I called, that the next day (Tuesday, June 30th) there would be two packers at my house at 9AM to start our pack. The first guys showed up at 12:30PM. Not a great sign but not a huge deal in the scheme of things. There were 4 packers once the truck got there and the owner was there as well. I believe the owner left about 5PM. Other than asking some questions about what went and what did not go, they packers worked on their own. I told them I would take the liquids and packed the fridge and freezer myself. I also packed the entire master bathroom because they had forgotten to do it. At approximately 11:30PM (yes, 11 hours later) and after re-packing the truck at least twice, two of the guys got into a physical altercation in my bedroom and one of them got in his girlfriend’s car and left. They did not finish loading the truck until 3AM. Yes, that is right, 3AM, more than 14 hours after they started. When I moved from Ft. Lauderdale to Dania Beach, packing, loading, driving, and UNLOADING took less than 10 total hours. Because it was 3AM by the time they were done, I did not have time to clean the house, nor did I have time to drive to Sarasota. I had to incur the cost of a hotel room ($130) and a cleaning crew ($160) because I had to be in Sarasota the next morning to meet the realtor, get the keys, and meet the truck. Additionally, because I had to leave before the cleaning was all completed, my wife had to ship some of the items we had packed in her car via Fedex Ground so she would have room in her car to bring the shop vac, vacuum, and cleaning supplies. That cost us an additional $200. So, we had almost $500 in additional costs because of the incompetence and complete lack of professionalism exhibited by the crew. It did not appear any of them had the experience to lead the crew or pack the truck. And, based on how our items arrived, clearly none of them had ever successfully packed either.
Whoever packed the front closet, with my tools and other items, did not use even 1 piece of paper. He threw boxes of screws and bolts into the box without even putting a piece of tape on the front to keep them closed. When they arrived there were hundreds of screws at the bottom of the box. He also threw in lightbulbs. No box, no paper, just lightbulbs in a box with a ton of tools. Obviously all the light bulbs broke.
Whoever packed the kitchen also did not seem to want to use paper. This included an open box of baking soda and two open flour bags (both put in upside down). When those arrived everything in that box was covered with flour and baking soda. Also, at the bottom of that box, under all the heavy dry good, were 6 coffee mugs and a bunch of items stuffed into our metal trash can. The trash can was all mangled and had to be thrown away. The mugs were all broken and also needed to be thrown away. Why would anyone pack a box with an open (did not even have a top) box of baking soda? And why would you put the glass/breakable items on the bottom and then throw a bunch of heavier things on top.
After trying to resolve this with the company, I was told I had to file a claim for the broken items (about $5000 worth of stuff) which could take up to 120 days, and they were unwilling to do anything to compensate us for the extra expenses we had to endure due to the lack of capability/professionalism/experience of the crew.
More Review Details
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Product or Service Quality|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
- Reason of review:
- Lack of Experience - Additional costs endured
- Preferred solution:
- Price reduction
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Gm Van Lines Residential Relocation
- Review category
- Transportation and Storage
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "April 27, Friday, Mailed 3 Passports (mine and my toddlers) and letters going to the Canadian Embassy in Makati April 28, Saturday, 1st attempt : Office Closed : returned to the..."
- "We moved from OH to KS.Legally they had 21 days to get here.The day after, they get here.We called Karin, the dispatcher, several times, continuing to lie about the ETA,..."
- "BEWARE!!!! these people have been a nightmare! I had a simple move from an apartment to a storage while I go out of state for training. These Morons..."
- "We also have the same problem. Purchased from Hudson Furniture in Sarasota on 10/29/11. Didn't move in to the home until June of 2012. Two years later with very little..."
- "FALSE ADVERTISING as you can't go from red to blonde. I was a dark red brown and even my stylist couldn't get me to blonde after 4 hours. That was..."
- "We purchased by puppy from Jose for my Birthday present. And let me tell you he was EXACTLY what we expected! Jose sent us pictures and was very easy to..."
- "delamination on left side panel of slide out and structural issues on rear left and right side screws broke off so the sliders frame is coming apart from the frame..."
- "Unpacked my purchases. Put the packet on my dresser along with other items in the bag. Later came back to put purchases away. The packet was stuck to my dresser...."
- "Vizio, 18 mos. and $1700.00. 70 inch and the screen lost the picture and kept the voice. I called vizio and went through there test and it was still no..."