I would like to tell you a little about our move. I was told (I think by the owner) on Monday, June 29th, when I called, that the next day (Tuesday, June 30th) there would be two packers at my house at 9AM to start our pack. The first guys showed up at 12:30PM. Not a great sign but not a huge deal in the scheme of things. There were 4 packers once the truck got there and the owner was there as well. I believe the owner left about 5PM. Other than asking some questions about what went and what did not go, they packers worked on their own. I told them I would take the liquids and packed the fridge and freezer myself. I also packed the entire master bathroom because they had forgotten to do it. At approximately 11:30PM (yes, 11 hours later) and after re-packing the truck at least twice, two of the guys got into a physical altercation in my bedroom and one of them got in his girlfriend’s car and left. They did not finish loading the truck until 3AM. Yes, that is right, 3AM, more than 14 hours after they started. When I moved from Ft. Lauderdale to Dania Beach, packing, loading, driving, and UNLOADING took less than 10 total hours. Because it was 3AM by the time they were done, I did not have time to clean the house, nor did I have time to drive to Sarasota. I had to incur the cost of a hotel room ($130) and a cleaning crew ($160) because I had to be in Sarasota the next morning to meet the realtor, get the keys, and meet the truck. Additionally, because I had to leave before the cleaning was all completed, my wife had to ship some of the items we had packed in her car via Fedex Ground so she would have room in her car to bring the shop vac, vacuum, and cleaning supplies. That cost us an additional $200. So, we had almost $500 in additional costs because of the incompetence and complete lack of professionalism exhibited by the crew. It did not appear any of them had the experience to lead the crew or pack the truck. And, based on how our items arrived, clearly none of them had ever successfully packed either.
Whoever packed the front closet, with my tools and other items, did not use even 1 piece of paper. He threw boxes of screws and bolts into the box without even putting a piece of tape on the front to keep them closed. When they arrived there were hundreds of screws at the bottom of the box. He also threw in lightbulbs. No box, no paper, just lightbulbs in a box with a ton of tools. Obviously all the light bulbs broke.
Whoever packed the kitchen also did not seem to want to use paper. This included an open box of baking soda and two open flour bags (both put in upside down). When those arrived everything in that box was covered with flour and baking soda. Also, at the bottom of that box, under all the heavy dry good, were 6 coffee mugs and a bunch of items stuffed into our metal trash can. The trash can was all mangled and had to be thrown away. The mugs were all broken and also needed to be thrown away. Why would anyone pack a box with an open (did not even have a top) box of baking soda? And why would you put the glass/breakable items on the bottom and then throw a bunch of heavier things on top.
After trying to resolve this with the company, I was told I had to file a claim for the broken items (about $5000 worth of stuff) which could take up to 120 days, and they were unwilling to do anything to compensate us for the extra expenses we had to endure due to the lack of capability/professionalism/experience of the crew.
More Review Details
- Reason of review:
- Lack of Experience - Additional costs endured
- Preferred solution:
- Price reduction
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Gm Van Lines Residential Relocation
- Review category
- Transportation and Storage
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "We were selling our house so we decided to declutter it for the showing by renting a POD. They were very helpful over the phone and delivered the pod..."
- " I hired this company to move my household less than three miles away. They showed up late and forgot their sissors and tape and wanted to know if we..."
- "Using All State for a cross-country move is the biggest mistake I ever made!! I have since discovered that All State Van Lines has many complaints filed against them, all..."
- "My local company purchased by Amerigas, my tank, my delivery invoices, and my bill stated to make checks out to Silsbee Propane the price per gallon goes up every delivery,..."
- "I placed an order for a LIMITED edition T-shirt in Oct 2016 and received nothing so far (3 months passed). I tried the "Order Tracking" via the "Email us" on..."
- "Dear Lynn, RE: VIP CORPORATE FLIGHT ATTENDANT Thank you so much for your reply. Infact, before your reply, I'll must say I've already anticipated & expected that i'm will not..."
- "Jan 1st 2017 I treated my husband to the waffle House on Clark Rd in Sarasota Florida . When we arrived the same waitress we had was trying to let..."
- "Ordered 2 pizzas last night. They were cold and the WORST *** pizzas I've EVER had. I am a diabbled Cancer patient and live on 700.00 a month. I decided..."
- "On December 4th of 2014 I had entered an agreement with Elite Simulation Solutions to purchase a flight simulator in the amount of 173,000.00 USD. Prior to the purchase of..."